Kaur Life is a space where Kaurs & Singhs can share their stories and learn from each other. It’s a place where you can take up space and raise your voice. So, we encourage you to submit your work! Kaur Life survives on your submissions.
You can submit articles, interviews, book reviews….pretty much anything that’s related to empowering Sikh women. If you need help thinking of ideas, this list will help you get started. Please note that we no longer accept artwork or poetry.
The world’s listening. What do you want to say?
We are looking forward to seeing your creativity!
Submit Your Work Now!
Send your work to: Hello(at)KaurLife.org
Be sure to include your name and email address if you would like to be contacted. Also, you can include a short bio (50 words or less) and a photo of yourself if you would like.
Please note, for your work to be included, it must support Kaur Life’s mission & values, address a topic central to women’s experiences, be gurmat-oriented, and reference gurbani, tvarik (Sikh history), or rehat (Sikh values/ lifestyle).
Terms of Submission:
Kaur Life staff reserves the right to publish your text and photos at our own discretion on KaurLife.org and related social media platforms. Authors should not submit the same piece simultaneously to more than one blog, website, or news outlet. When you email Kaur Life a submission, you are granting us first publication rights and first right of refusal.
Piece should be:
- Must be 1,000 to 1,500 words long
- Clear and concise
- Well organized and clearly focused
- Contain engaging writing
- Free of spelling and grammatical errors
- Have a respectful and open minded tone
- If you are writing about your opinion, clearly state that it is your opinion
- If you include facts, please cite source and accurately convey the facts
- If you include gurbani, please include the ang (page number) of Guru Granth Sahib and who the shabad was revealed to.
- Conclude with a call to action for readers
We’re looking for original, never-before-published articles. Thus, authors should not submit the same article simultaneously to more than one blog, website, social media platform, or news outlet. When you email Kaur Life an article, you are granting us first publication rights and first right of refusal. The rationale for this standard is the potential for disagreement when two (or more) websites claim the right to publish a manuscript that has been submitted simultaneously to more than one entity. Once Kaur Life has published your content, you are free to submit it elsewhere, with citation to Kaur Life.
Your Bio & Photo:
If you wish, at the end of your submission, you may include a short bio (no more than 50 words). Also, along with your submission, you may attach a high resolution jpeg author photo (head and shoulders shot is best).
- Must be 1,000 to 1,500 words long.
- There is no formatting requirement.
- Please be open to the editing process.
- Kaur Life reserves the right to publish your text and photos at its own discretion.
- Kaur Life is a Sikh-women’s forum. Anything submitted that violates Sikh ideals will be rejected.
- Kaur Life has different needs at different times, so not all submissions made to Kaur Life will be accepted. If we don’t accept your piece, don’t worry, feel free to submit new work in the future.
Kaur Life understands that sometimes, when writing about sensitive subject matter, safety is a concern. If you can’t have your name published or don’t feel comfortable having your photograph featured on the site, please don’t let it deter you from submitting. These issues can be worked around and we’re invested in making you feel as safe and comfortable as possible. You can publish anonymously or under a pen name.
Kaur Life’s 2020 Writing Team
For 2020, Kaur Life is piloting a team of contracted writers who pitch, develop, and write articles for exclusive Kaur Life publication, along with creating artfully crafted photographs specific to their articles. The goal of the Kaur Life writing team is to write 1500 word, in-depth, high quality, thought provoking articles about Kaur issues so readers may learn more about their Sikh culture & empower themselves. They are expected to meet deadlines, communicate with the Kaur Life editor clearly, and be open to the editing process.
This team has signed onto Kaur Life’s participation agreement in which they state they:
- They Self-identify as Sikh
- Endorse Kaur Life’s mission, vision, and values.
- Honor that Kaur Life is based in Sikh values, history, and practice
- Believe human equality across sex and gender is inherent within Sikhi
- Understand this space as one that is informed by the Guru Granth and Guru Panth; utilizing Gurbani (Guru), tvarikh (history) and rehat (conduct) to further explore and expand Sikh conversations
- Honor this space as one that is seeking to be grassroots, and counters the hegemony and oppression of ability, religion, caste, class, ethnicity, gender, race, sex, and sexual orientation
If you would like to be considered for a spot on a future writing team, please submit a CV, a cover letter (in which you discuss why you would like to join the team, what topics you are interested in writing about, and your approach to writing on Sikh topics), and two writing examples of at least 1000 words (on any topic, Sikhi-related preferable) to hello@KaurLife.org
Kaur Life occasionally contracts people to write or provide photographs on niche topics or for a specific need on a case-by-case basis.
We are still accepting volunteer submissions of articles for publication consideration.