Established in 2014, Kaur Life is a registered, non-profit, online magazine, striving to be the premier Sikh women’s publication. It is infused with gurmat and tailored for young Kaurs (Sikh women). Kaur Life hopes to be a space where Kaurs can express their ideas, share stories, and learn more about their Sikh culture to empower themselves.
Kaur Life is primarily user-run, meaning that the public and Kaur Life readers submit content to be published on the website. Whether it’s art, poetry, music, journal entries, articles or photography, Kaur Life wants to feature it. We are always on the search for contributors. For more information view the “Submit Your Work” page.
Kaur Life emerged out of Kaur Thoughts, a blog started in 2012 that was dedicated to exploring Sikhi, kesh, gender, bana, fashion, and being a woman. Lakhpreet started Kaur Thoughts because she felt there was a need for an online resource for Kaurs to explore women-specific issues, interact with each other, and be inspired by high-achieving Kaurs. To learn more about the evolution of Kaur Thoughts, listen to the Art of Change podcast where Sukhneet Singh interviews Lakhpreet on her journey.
A special thanks to the Sikh Spirit Foundation. Their generous support made Kaur Life possible!
Kaur Life’s Mission
- to provide Kaurs (Sikh Women) with resources to guide them on their Sikh journey
- to capture and document narratives, experiences, and histories of Sikh women
- to feature examples of high-achieving Kaurs to inspire other Kaurs
- to develop thought-provoking articles that facilitate discussion on Kaur-issues
- to create a community of belonging and friendship of Kaurs that facilitates growth, partnership, and teamwork
Kaur Life’s Vision
To have a world where:
- Kaurs are empowered with self-confidence and the spirit of Sikhi to embrace challenges and pursue their dreams
- Kaurs are supported and celebrated in every aspect of life
- Kaurs are steadfast and solid in their identity as Sikh women
- Kaurs have the opportunity to live up to their full potential
Kaur Life Team
Lakhpreet Kaur, Founder & Editor-in-Chief
Lakhpreet Kaur is the founder and editor-in-chief for Kaur Life. Lakhpreet was born in Wisconsin but has lived all over the U.S. and abroad. She earned a BA in Political Sciences at the University of Wisconsin, Madison where she also received an Honors in the Liberal Arts. Lakhpreet then went on to obtain her MA in International Environmental Policy form the Monterey Institute of International Studies and did a year of post-graduate studies at American University studying international relations. To learn more about Lakhpreet, visit her personal website.
Harleen Kaur, Associate
As an associate of Kaur Life, Harleen Kaur channels her creativity and thoughtfulness into generating original content and conceptualizing creative ideas to improve Kaur Life’s web presence. She takes on many roles and is an all around rock star. Other than Kaur Life, Harleen is traveling abroad for a year, after which she will return to the US to pursue a dual graduate degree in law and public policy.
There are over 100 women and men who have written for or contribute to Kaur Life and we thank them for their seva. Kaur Life is completely user run so, only with these writers does Kaur Life exist. Whether it’s art, poetry, music, journal entries, articles or photography, Kaur Life wants to feature it. We are always on the search for contributors. For more information view the “Submit Your Work” page.
Also, we send out a big “Thank you” to all of our readers and the Kaur Life virtual sangat!
Kaur Life in the Media
- “South Asian Millennial Conference,” by Saloni Gajjar.
- “Q and A with Kaur Life’s Editor-in-Chief, Lakhpreet Kaur,” by Sikh Love Stories.
- “New Online Magazine, Kaur Life, Creates a Splash of Empowerment for Sikh Women,” by Simran Jeet Singh on Brown Girl Magazine.
- “Kaur Life: Inspiring Lioness Queens to Rule the World,” by Harleen Kaur on Langar Hall.
- “Kaur Life,” by Harleen Kaur of Kaur Films.
- “Creating Kaur Thoughts to Empower Sikh Women,” by Sukhneet Singh on The Art of Change.
Kaur Life Presentations
The following talks were given by Lakhpreet Kaur as a representative of Kaur Life:
- The Power of Storytelling in Building Community | March 2016: Discussed the ways sharing stories can build community across time and space amongst Sikh women as a part of the University of Toronto St. George event, “Women and Sikhism.”
- Challenging the Doctor, Lawyer, Engineer Stereotype | Feb 2016: Shared the development of Kaur Life on a this panel as a part of the South Asian Millennials Conference at Columbia University.
- Sikhs in America | Feb 2015: An introduction to the Sikh tradition with Simran Singh, Senior Religion Fellow of the Sikh Coalition, at the Institute of Texan Cultures for its new exhibit, “Sikhs: Legacy of the Punjab“.
- Kaur Life | Nov 2014: A discussion of Sikh women in the media and opportunities for representation. Given at SAFAR’s Sikh Feminist Research InstituteConference in Ann Arbor, MI.
- Vision & Grit | June 2014: Brownbag talk for the 2014 Sikh Coalition interns in New York City.
- Creating a Better Version of Yourself | March 2014: A workshop that drew on Sikh history and gurbani for self esteem improvement given at “Inspiring the Core of the Kaur: Michigan Women’s’ Retreat”
- Guru, Kaur & Dastar | Feb 2014: An exploration of breaking conventional gender norms by adopting religious icons as a form of agency. Presented at the SikholarsGraduate Student Conference at Stanford University.